Welcome to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ page). Below, we have tried to answer the most common questions visitors to this our Web site may have. If you find that your question is not answered on this page, please email us at
or call us during our normal business hours of 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday at 513-241-0720.
- What services do you provide? We provide a fully furnished residential style housing for sightless men and women. We have a fully staffed kitchen providing 21 home style meals a week. We also have maid service Monday through Friday.
- What are the requirements for admission? Residents must be legally blind, an adult, mobile, able to dress and bathe themselves, and they must be able to socially interact with other residents and staff.
- What is the process for admission? A two page application must be completed and returned along with a certificate of blindness signed by an eye doctor. Once all forms are returned you will be informed of our decision. (Please refer to the Requirements page.)
- What does the term legally blind mean exactly? Our definition of blindness is as follows: an individual whose central visual acuity does exceed 20 / 200 in the better eye with correction lenses or whose visual acuity is greater than 20 / 200 but is accompanied by a limitation in the fields of vision such that the widest diameter of the visual field subtends and angle no greater than 20 degrees. (Section 23 (Y) (2) of the Revenue Act of 1944)
- How much does it cost to live at the Samuel Bell Home? Our current monthly room and board rate is $730.00. This covers all meals, utilities and maid service Monday through Friday. We do also require a deposit of one months rent.
- What about a residents laundry? Our staff will launder the residents linens and towels but the resident is responsible for their own clothing. We have laundry facilities available at a minimal cost in the building.
- What ages are your current residents? Our residents range from the mid 20’s to the early 90’s.
- Can I smoke in room? No. Smoking is only permitted outside or in the smoking lounge. This rule is strictly enforced.